Natural vs. Synthetic Paint

Natural Paint Synthetic Paint
Use plant resins and other materials that repel dust and bacteria. Electrically charged and use plastic therefore attracting dust and bacteria.
Microporous, allowing moisture to pass through without flaking or peeling. Impermeable and promote condensation which leads to the development of mould.
Require minimal energy (low embodied energy) in manufacture and create little waste and minimal environmental impact. Use high quantities of electricity and generate a lot of waste in their manufacture.
Can be more expensive that conventional alternatives. Often cheaper than eco-friendly alternatives.
Can take longer to dry. Can evaporate faster which reduces drying time.
Most are biodegradable and can be easily recycled, reused or composted. Are difficult to dispose of, reuse or recycle at end of life expectancy.
Non-toxic or considerably less toxic.

Have few or no known health risks associated.

Do not require solvents in preparation, application and cleaning.

Do not leach chemicals, toxins and other pollutants into the atmosphere, water course or your living room.

Contain irritants (e.g. glass fibres), known toxins, carcinogens and pollutants (lead and heavy metals, oil, tar, CFCs, asbestos), elements that be confirmed toxic in the future or difficult to dispose (phenolics, isocyantes, polyurethane).

Contain binding compounds that include formaldehydes (MDF, PVC, solvent adhesives).

Contain large quantities of VOCs.

Can be traced to their point of origin and use renewable sources where possible. Exploit rare or endangered species, damage habitats or have questionable origins (hard woods from non sustainable sources, peat).
Use durable low maintenance materials with long life and high performance. Require constant damaging maintenance.